The Manitoba Colleges Athletic Conference (MCAC) is pleased to announce the inaugural True Sport Team for futsal and soccer teams in 2021-22 season. The True Sport Team was developed to recognize student athletes who demonstrate the principles of True Sport on the field of play, in the classroom and in the community.
MCAC – 2021-22 True Sport Team for futsal and soccer
Helen Langrehr – Brandon University (BU) Bobcats women’s futsal
Tiegan Kroeker – Canadian Mennonite University (CMU) Blazers women’s futsal
Daneige Edey – Université de Saint-Boniface (USB) Les Rouges women’s futsal
Huy Nguyen – Assiniboine Community College (ACC) Cougars men’s futsal
Tai Linklater – Canadian Mennonite University (CMU) Blazers women’s soccer
Katie Moniot – Université de Saint-Boniface (USB) Les Rouges women’s soccer
David Castellanos – Assiniboine Community College (ACC) Cougars men’s soccer
Diego Rodriguez – Brandon University (BU) Bobcats men’s soccer
Gode Katembo – Canadian Mennonite University (CMU) Blazers men’s soccer
The True Sport seven principles that guided the selection for the Team:
1. Go For It – Rise to the challenge – always strive for excellence. Be persistent and discover how good you can be.
2. Play Fair – Understand, respect, and follow the rules. Play with integrity – competition is only meaningful when it is fair.
3. Respect Others – Show respect for everyone involved in creating your sporting experience, both on and off the field of play. Win with dignity and lose with grace.
4. Keep It Fun – Find the joy in sport and share it with others. Remember what you love about sport and why you play.
5. Stay Healthy – Always respect and care for your mind and body. Advocate for the health and safety of yourself and those around you.
6. Include Everyone – Recognize and celebrate strength in diversity. Invite and welcome others into sport.
7. Give Back – Say thanks and show gratitude. Encourage your sport group to make a difference in the community.
All nominated student-athletes will be invited to apply for the Bill Wedlake True Sport Awards. At the end of each season, two student-athletes will receive a $250 award.
The 2021-22 True Sport Team for volleyball was announced earlier prior to the start of 2022 MCAC Volleyball Championship that ran from March 5-6, 2022.