Futsal Semifinals Recap: #4 Providence University College defeats #1 Canadian Mennonite University 6-5

Scoring was opened four minutes into the game when CMU’s Jaime Hamilton was gifted a loose ball right in front of PUC’s goal line and the Blazers jumped out to an early 1-0 lead.

PUC’s Herby Magny answered at the 16 minute mark when he made good on a pass from Devotion Ndlovu in close, and the already raucous crowd grew louder with a newfound taste of parity. Despite the game being played outside of Winnipeg at Providence University College, the crowd was extremely well-attended by fans of CMU. 

Right before halftime, PUC picked a pass off of the oncoming CMU defence and made their way up the court with favourable numbers. Randolph Choez played a very tidy give-and-go to get the ball back in the middle of the box and nailed it home with just 9 seconds left in the first half, putting PUC up 2-1.

Early in the second half, CMU’s Cole Johnson put a move on a PUC defender that walked the ball through the defence’s legs much to the crowd’s pleasure. He kept up with the ball to chip it over to Jaime Hamilton who fired a shot right under the far side crossbar, a beautiful finish to a very well orchestrated play. 

Play bounced back and forth in both ends but shortly before the 17 minute mark, Hamilton once again got a pass when he was within scoring distance and he buried his hat trick putting CMU up 3-2.

Herby Magny tied it up four minutes later when he received a throw from his keeper, Darcy Friesen. Magny got the pass off his chest facing his own goal, trapped the ball, turned around and fired right past CMU keeper, Robbie Friesen. With a tie game and both sides of the crowd roaring, the final 10 minutes of the game shaped up for a tight and wild finish. But instead, it was pure insanity.

Braeden Owen scored for PUC with under 5 minutes to play, sending the PUC crowd into hysterics. Shortly after, CMU was awarded a penalty kick due to PUC reaching their limit in fouls. When the initial kick was saved by PUC’s keeper, CMU’s Michael Veremu almost followed up the rebound with a goal but he couldn’t convert. 

Soon after, Hunter Robertson put PUC ahead by two when he scored from about 15 feet out, seemingly putting PUC’s 5-3 lead out of reach. But then CMU’s Jaime Hamilton scored once again, putting CMU down by only one.

With 10 seconds left in the game and CMU down by only a goal, the Blazers brought their keeper, Robbie Friesen, out of the net to try and score but they couldn’t get a chance on net. When the ball was cleared out of the end line next to CMU’s goal, Friesen went back for one final hurl of the ball to a packed house in PUC’s end, but PUC stood tall and kept CMU from tying the game.

PUC won 6-5 in a wild and crazy second half, and will play Red River College at 3:30pm in what should be a thrilling Final to the 2017 Men’s Futsal season.

PUC’s Herby Magny and CMU’s Jaime Hamilton were awarded Players of the Game.

Author: Neil Noonan

My name’s Neil Noonan and I’d rather not talk in the third-person. I’m a first-year Creative Communications student at Red River Collegiate in Winnipeg, Canada.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s