Cougars Take Home 2010 Hockey Championship

2009/10 Men’s Hockey Champions
It took an entire year, but the Assiniboine Community College Cougars finally got their championship win against rival Canadian Mennonite University.
The 2010 Manitoba College Athletics Conference men’s hockey final took place Saturday afternoon in Souris, MB. The Cougars were up against defending champs, the Canadian Mennonite University Blazers, and were eager to change the outcome after losing the big game last year to CMU.

Returning forward and 2009/10 regular season MVP Charles Tweed, who suffered through the championship loss last year, said Friday night he was ready for the win, and his confidence in his team never wavered.
“Right from the start we’ve touched on the loss and how this year we were going to win the last game,” a smiling Tweed said following Friday’s banquet. “We have a good bunch of guys so I think we’re really looking forward to, first and foremost, drinking out of that cup tomorrow.”
That hoped-for victory didn’t come easily. CMU scored the first goal of the game at 11:17, but that unshakeable desire to win was evident in the Cougar squad as all-conference selection Joran Hedley made a slick backhand deke count within a minute of the Blazer’s first goal.
Marty Siemens of CMU scored the next two goals, but ACC’s Ryan Anderson ended the first period with a goal from the far corner.
It was 3-2 for the Blazers going into the second, and penalties began to mount up for both squads. The Cougars had plenty of chances with some great shots on net by Joran Hedley and David Sattler, but no goals were netted in the frame. Cougar backstop Dylan Funk made some key saves to hold the Blazers at three goals.
Thirty-four seconds into the third period, CMU earned its fourth goal of the game as David Epp went in alone and slid the puck into the corner past Funk. Then the Cougars began their rally. A minute and a half later, the Cougar captain Tweed was alone in front, and put in top shelf. ACC once again trailed by a goal.
It was ten minutes of nerve-wracking hockey until Ryan Anderson stepped out from behind the Blazers’ net and got ACC’s fourth, and game-tying goal. The Cougars’ drive and determination were evident, and their commitment to win triumphed. With minutes left in the game, defenceman Mitch Tilbury let go a wrist-shot to give ACC its first lead of the game. The crowd went wild.
The sixth goal for the Cougars, scored by Joran Hedley, was his second of the game, with assists by Anderson and Tilbury. And with 18.8 seconds on the clock, Virden McKay scored ACC’s final goal on an empty net, making the final score 7 to 4 for ACC.
“We knew what we had to do and came out in the third and took control of the game”, said Tilbury.
MCAC Finals MVP Ryan Anderson was proud of his 2 goals and 2 assists in the game, especially the equalizer midway through the third.

ACC’s Ryan Anderson receives his MCAC Hockey Finals MVP award from conference executive director Bill Wedlake
“It’s definitely one of my bigger goals in my career. We wanted to take charge and get the team tied up and see what could happen from there.”
Take charge they did.
It is likely that Tweed and his teammates made good on their oath from the night before, and indeed swigged a few out of the MCAC championship cup Saturday night.
Article by Brooke Clayton
Photos by Darrin Bauming

ACC captain Charles Tweed receives the MCAC Championship trophy and banner

MCAC All-Conference selections for 2009/10

(L to R – CMU’s Marty Siemens, CMU’s Ethan Heidebrecht, CMU’s Josh Ewert, ACC’s Joran Hedley, ACC’s Charles Tweed)

(not shown – ACC’s Brett Locke, ACC’s Ryan Anderson)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s